The Greyhound Adoption Program, or GAP, is part of the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission and is dedicated to finding homes for greyhounds that are no longer suitable for racing.
It is our mission to:
• Find suitable, loving, long term homes for greyhounds whose careers have come to an end.
• Educate the public about the true greyhound personality and remove misconceptions and mistaken views that many people have of this wonderful and gentle animal.
• Encourage a more positive image of the greyhound and to stimulate the public’s desire to own a greyhound as a family pet.
• Prepare and assess the greyhounds suitability as loving and loyal family pets.
• Give ongoing support to the greyhound and its new owners.
At GAP, we believe that greyhounds can make fantastic pets. In general, they are best described as quiet, lazy and gentle dogs that thrive in a family home environment and the great thing about greyhounds is that there is a temperament to suit just about every situation. If you prefer a more outgoing dog, perhaps one that enjoys obedience training or playing fetch with the kids for example, then we can help find the right dog for you! The staff at GAP pride themselves on their ability to successfully and consistently place the right greyhound into the right home environment. All our Greyhounds undergo comprehensive and ongoing behavioural and temperament assessments, enabling us to ensure that we match the right greyhound to the right family. When matching a family to a greyhound, we take in to account many things including lifestyle, regular activities, children, other pets, home environment etc. When you adopt your greyhound, it is desexed, vaccinated, up to date with parasite treatments and we provide you with a GAP identifying green collar.
If you would like to adopt a greyhound, the best way to proceed is to complete the application form http://www.gapqld.com.au/gap-applications and once it’s received, a GAP Officer will be in touch to gather some further information and to ask for some pictures of your property and fences, and will answer any questions you may have. On the application form, feel free to include as much information as you can about your family and the activities you like to do or anything else you’d like us to know. If you have any further questions, please feel free to send an email [email protected] or us a call on (07) 3174 0594.
Stand Number: D118