The club will celebrate the 50th Anniversary in 2018.
The Poodle Club is affiliated with Dogs QLD which is a member of the Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC). The ANKC is the leading body for pure breed dog organisations in Australia.
The Club is also a founding member of the National Poodle Council which operates under the auspices of the ANKC.
The Poodle Club of Queensland Inc. represents all three varieties of the Breed. These are differentiated by size (not by colour) and are:
* Standard Poodles: 38cm (15 inches) and over at the shoulder.
* Miniature Poodles: under 38cm but not under 28cm (11 inches) at the shoulder.
* Toy Poodles: under 28cm (11 inches) at the shoulder.
We welcome anyone who fullfils the membership criteria to join the club as either a social, or active participant from anywhere in Australia or overseas. The club offers bi monthly newsletters, mentor support to new owners of the breed, recommends registered breeders with litters, 3 conformation specialty shows, and 2 pet poodle fun days each year, a breed specific rescue and rehome program. Multiple opportunities to participate in Poodle show case events. Discounted DNA testing for the breed, and an authorised DNA collection agent at no cost. Enquiries – [email protected]
The French breed once used to hunt waterfowl was originally named the Caniche, from the nickname chien à cane or canichon (duck dog). The poodle was kept by noble ladies at the time of Louis XIV, was a lapdog at the time of Louis XV and was miniaturized at the time of Louis XVI. Able to adapt to any lifestyle, the Poodle became one of the world’s most popular pet.
Squarely built, and well proportioned. The ears should fold over close to the head, set at, or slightly below, eye level. The coat should be of naturally curly texture, dense throughout, although most have a lion-cut or other, similarly shaven look.
GROOMING AND PHYSICAL NEEDS
- Grooming Needs: All Poodles require regular brushing, bathing and trimming. The level of care required can be reduced by regular (6 weekly) clipping.
- Coat Type: Medium Long Coat.
- Moulting: None.
- Exercise Needs: Adult Standard (large) Poodles benefit from regular, moderately vigorous outside exercise and stimulation. The smaller varieties also benefit from a regular outing, especially if they live in an apartment or town house.
- Average Life Span: 10 – 15 years.
- Family: Poodles thrive on human companionship and do not do well if deprived of this companionship. All sizes of Poodles are suitable for children as long as responsible adults are providing proper supervision.
- Temperament: Lively and affectionate, high-spirited, happy dogs who love a busy life and being involved in all family matters.
- Trainability: Extremely intelligent and eager to please dog therefore easy to train.
- Sociability (Other Pets): Easily adaptable to other pets, especially if they are raised together. Care needs to be taken with small animals that are natural prey for dogs.
- Barking: Toys can be more noisy then miniature or standards, good breeding and subsequent temperament certainly makes a difference to training a poodle not to bark.
Make wonderful companion dogs and can be good guard dogs.
Prone to eye problems such as cataracts & progressive retinal atrophy.
Stand Number: B124