Dogs Victoria (Victorian Canine Association) is the peak body representing owners and breeders of purebred dogs in Victoria and has a history dating back to 1877.

More than 280 individual clubs representing a single breed, a group of breeds or all breeds are affiliated with Dogs Victoria.

Dogs Victoria is a member of the Australian National Kennel Council.


History

An organisation was established to oversee and facilitate kennel, poultry and feline activities during the 1860’s however records are sketchy and details cannot be confirmed. It is recorded that in 1877 an organisation was formed – or re-formed – called the Victorian Poultry and Dog Society which primarily directed its interests to the promotion of poultry, until 1880 when it conducted its first dog show. In order to progress the dog fancy the Victorian Poultry and Kennel Club was formed to take over its activities and established a purebred stud book in January 1889. This was the forerunner of what is known today as the Victorian Canine Association Inc.

In the 1920’s a further two associations were formed virtually in competition with the Victorian Poultry and Kennel Club; firstly in 1923 the Victorian Kennel Association, then in 1928 the Canine Control Council, the latter being closely associated with the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria.

Finally, in 1930 all three joined hands and relinquished their individuality in the cause of harmony and unity and their selected representatives formed the Kennel Control Council of Victoria, later to be renamed the Victorian Canine Association. In its first year of operation the KCC gained 333 members and 23 affiliated clubs. Today the Victorian Canine Association Inc has in excess of 10,000 members and 280 affiliated clubs. In mid 2007 the Victorian Canine Association introduced a trading name being Dogs Victoria.

Stand Number: 216