Brought into existence in the early 1800s, is a cross between the bulldog of the day and the old English terrier – a breed which is now extinct. The early dogs did not have very specific pedigrees because the importance was a game fighting dog. The miners and ironworkers of Staffordshire began to foster the breed nad the qualities of gameness, intelligence and loyalty were developed.
GROOMING AND PHYSICAL NEEDS
- Grooming Needs: Low maintainence due to its short coat, which needs a regular brushing and occasional bath.
- Coat Type: Smooth, short-haired coat.
- Moulting: Moderate shedding.
- Exercise Needs: Regular daily walks are recommended. They have a tremendous stamina therefor require daily exercise and regular mental stimulation.
- Average Life Span: 12 – 14 years.
- Family: A breed that needs to be a family member and included in activities. As they are an extremely strong, active dog they need to be supervised around small children. However, on the whole if brought up with children they tend to be gentle and tolerant and a loyal, devoted family pet.
- Temperament: Bold, fearless and totally reliable.
- Trainability: Intelligent, persistent, boisterous they need a confident owner who is consistent with their dogs training.
- Sociability (Other Pets): Live happily with other pets provided they are trained and socialised from an early age.
- Barking: High tendency.
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier are known for doing everything full throttle! They are extremely affectionate and can be very obedient. They are very strong and muscular for their size.
Stand Number: 632